Reflections

Edutopia

Edutopia

Reflection is such a meaningful process and sadly, one that is under utilized in education, at all levels.  Educators should reflect on an annual, quarterly, monthly, weekly, and daily basis.   Not just on the surface reflection, but honest, deep reflections as we work to improve our craft.  I teach tech courses for interns, teachers, administrators and masters candidates at our local teachers college.  I can honestly say that I have never taught any of the 4 courses the same way, even classes which occur in the same semester.  Of course, tech changes quickly.  True!  That is one reason, but I am always looking for new articles for best practices and /or reflection to use with students.

This was true of my years as a classroom teacher too.  I regularly gave myself grades too as I evaluated my students performance in class and on standardized tests.  Deficiencies became my focus for the summer and for conferences as I looked to strengthen my instruction to address the shortcomings.

The screenshot includes 40 questions that teachers can use to get students reflecting on their work and activities.  You can find the pdf linked here: https://www.edutopia.org/pdfs/stw/edutopia-stw-replicatingPBL-21stCAcad-reflection-questions.pdf .  There is also a great article about getting students engaged in self-reflection, which can be found here: http://www.edutopia.org/discussion/scaffolding-student-reflections-sample-questions

How frequently do you reflect?  Have you incorporated student reflection in your classroom?

2 thoughts on “Reflections

1. Like you, I seem incapable of teaching a class the same way twice,Melvin those I’ve been teaching for 10+ years.

I work to build reflection in for myself at regular intervals. Blogging helps with this, though I don’t write or podcast about current students (except in rare cases, with their permission, in advance).

With my undergrads, I have them reflect after they take exams. I ask them to think about what they will start, stop, and continue doing to support their learning for the next exam.

I have them do this before they see the results of the exam, as I think it helps them reflect on their learning, before reacting to a particular grade.

I would sure enjoy getting to see you teach sometime. Your students are fortunate.